Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I have been reading the biblical account of the judge Samson in recent days. I found myself relating to him all too well. And it is not the Sunday School Samson who we have been taught to look up to as a hero. This man had the anointing of God on him and instead of using it for the glory of God. He was arrogant, he lustfully fed his own pleasures and in the end it was his own arrogance that brought his fall. His fall was deep, he lost all his strength and became the slave and object of humiliation at the hands of his enemies. These enmeis also were the enemy of God, they followed a false god. The saddest consequence of Samson's sin was not that it led to his humiliation but the Phillistines gave their god credit for the capture of Samson. so Samson's sin led to God being humiliated as well.

That truth hit me like a brick. I can handle the consequence of my sin leading to my humiliation but to think that my sins directly bring humiliation of God that is humbling. How could I or any of us be so arrogant, so ignorant. But I also learn from Samson that my actions have consequences. Samson was taken captive by his enemies in the same way we become captive to our own sin. We have humiliating consequences. It is in that humbling moment that God listens to a repentant heart. For Samson his repentance led to restoration and his final act of surrender. In the end God came upon him one more time and he gave his life for the glory of God.

This is our truth for life today. The truth is God, whom we have shamed by our actions, hears our cries of repentance and restores us so that we can serve Him for his glory.

Isn't our God great. He restores us in spite of us. He empowers us then to Glorify Him. Glorify Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment